Mosquito Borne Virus Chikungunya Alert for Florida
due to infected tourists bringing the disease home with them.
The mosquito borne virus was isolated until 2005 when it started to suddenly become widespread throughout Asia, the Middle East, and India where more than 2 million people have been affected there alone so far. It was subsequently found in Europe and has now made it's way to the Americas.
Mosquito Bite Prevention Tips From Center For Disease Control (CDC)
- There is no vaccine or medication to prevent chikungunya, or dengue fever virus infection or disease
- Reduce mosquito exposure
- Use air conditioning or window/door screens
- Use mosquito repellents on exposed skin
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants
- Wear permethrin-treated clothing
- Empty standing water from outdoor containers
- Support local vector control programs
- People at increased risk for severe disease should consider not traveling to areas with ongoing chikungunya outbreaks
- If you are sick with chikungunya, avoiding mosquito bites will help prevent further spread of the virus
This article should make consumers aware, and will allow let them know what to expect this pest control season.